Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Jalila Sowers: From Broken To Breakthrough

What a great replay of amazing events all graciously scripted for us by Jalila Sowers.  It's also oh so amazing how one can write great stories without all the glitz and glimmer.  You see, there was no need for a whole lot of dressing in my opinion.  This remarkable story stands alone.

Drum Roll...…...………………..


From Broken to Breakthrough by [Jalila Sowers]


God why me? Sitting in a puddle of my own tears balled up in a fetal position. I'm feeling like these four walls are caving in on me. It's pitch black. I can't see or think. My heart is racing. I've finally lost it. My screams are getting louder and louder. How did I get to this point in my life? How did I become exactly what I set out not to be? A statistic! I was just another stereotypical young black single mother, from the hood living in poverty. Pinching pennies scratching and crawling trying to take care of my four children alone. I'm feeling like thirty years on this earth has come crashing down on me like a ton of bricks Heartbreak after heartbreak, tears upon tears, failure after failure. Living the life where poverty and violence is the normal. And success is just a dream. How can I try to instill the quality of life into my children when all I have been exposed to is this? I'm constantly torturing myself and haunted by the creativity that flows through me. Oh how I wish there was a rewind button. I need to escape. This darkness is eating my soul. 




Another thing that grabs my  attention is how well the author told her story  without adding unnecessary fluff.  I think you know what I mean.  Many of us have picked up material all packaged in gold, only to find out it should have been wrapped in foil. OR we've embarked on journeys (through story telling) that seem to never end without ever getting to the actual point of the journey .  

Not here my dear readers.  You will not find any of that here.

Do not take for granted that it's a quick read either.  In my opinion From Broken To Breakthrough is short and to the point.  You'll find yourself engulfed in the pages and wishing you were there with Ms. Sowers as a friend, encouraging her to continue her journey in spite of her challenges.  You'll let her know there is definitely a silver lining in the middle of the storm(s).

Again I give 



No comments:

Post a Comment